I finished my conversion over to IndexTank and it has been running in
production for a few days now. It is too early to make grand
pronouncements but I am really happy with the performance so far,
especially compared to what I was using before. The faceting abilities
are really nice for generating reports on the types of data I am
storing. I used their jQuery auto-complete plugin to give my users a
better search experience and it was really easy to get integrated.

I am still definitely looking forward to the official GAE full text
search and especially how it will integrate with models and queries.