Hi,

i spent quite some time optimising datastore access since it was so
unreliabale in the past weeks. Now using memcache intensely throughout
the application. Only to find out that memcache has been flaky for
some 4 hours now, with error rates between 10% and 70%.  What's the
recommended strategy to dealing with a situation like this?

Since the memcache isn't entirely down, I don't want to take the app
down just just yet. But it would be great if I could at least show an
automated warning sign (this happened over night). The Capabilities
API only has "enabled" or "disabled" -- it would be nice if you could
query the error rate just as it shows up on the system status. Or do
some other tools or libs exist (I'm on Java..)?

I'm open to other ideas, how does everyone else deal with this outages
and error rates? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Per

PS: While I'm at it, let me also express my frustration at the system
status page. Only 10 minutes ago there was a 70% error rate spike, but
the overall status is "Green" again. I wouldn't be surprised if
tomorrow the system status is "all Green" for today as well, despite
these serious problems. I understand that errors occur (and that
you're working hard at fixing them),  but  it leaves an odd aftertaste
if these errors get glossed over after a while.