Ditto - although the figure I'm looking at is moving from well within the
existing free quotas to $120/month - for a non-revenue-generating
application.

I suppose you could argue that as the service has been running for a couple
of years, Google have already donated what they now value to be $2880
dollars of resource, but looking at the actual resources consumed, it is
difficult to see how it has cost them that much.

Will still put the effort in to see how efficient things can be made in
light of the new scheme, but would have appreciated maybe a couple of months
rather than a couple of weeks to do so.

I suspect I'll end up spending $9 a month for a paid app that simply serves
redirects to the app re-hosted on AWS until enough clients update bookmarks,
and then remove billing and let it whither on the vine.