I won't repeat all of my earlier comments on this, one of the original
threads about the new pricing, but for those not reading in a threaded
reader, I asked for

<quote>
  [...] a clear statement about what GAE is aimed at today, something
definite that lets me plan, not just marketing speak, but "this is what it
is, we're aiming at this kind of use, not this, that or the other".

 This would let me decide whether I should keep with what I'm doing, or
adapt to the new pricing plan as it stands, or plan to move away from GAE if
I'm not the intended market. I can try and infer this "positioning" from the
pricing plan, feature announcements, release schedules etc, but that's
working by side-effect... can we have some clarity and statements of intent
please ?
</quote>

I fleshed this out with some illustrative details of my sample use, and in
reply to a request from Greg D I fleshed out quite a few more details about
how GAE's positioning has appeared, to me at least, to move over the last
year or two, and Greg said he'd try to assemble such a statement.

Now Greg - I know you were off travelling for a while, and I didn't chase
you up, but given that the new pricing appears to be finalised as per
originally announced with only a few small tweaks, and there's been no
clarification along the lines of my request, I hope you can see that it
leaves me with my (copiously explained) impression that while GAE was
originally devised to suit my usage model, it has since mutated into a
product offering that is, by design, not aligned with my intended use.

I've been building a product (*1) that's still in stealth mode, and I
appreciate GAE hosting it for me so far while I use only a fraction of the
free quota, but now, just about the time I was preparing to launch it to a
wider audience, I'm going to have to port it away from GAE as I can't take
the risk of it costing me a fortune (mostly in datastore writes - see
earlier posts) AND then having to port it to a new platform with, I hope,
lots of people pumping data into it as I try to move it and the data to a
new infrastructure.

I hope this doesn't sound snarky, passive-aggressive, or "throwing the toys
out of the pram" - I genuinely appreciated GAE while it was the old product
offering, I just think we've "grown apart" and it's time to go.

Hope to catch you all around somewhere... so long and thanks for all the
fish...

--
Tim  // @schmerg

(*1) - http://www.mysparebrain.com/ - ping me for an invite if you're