Hi Francois, thanks for bringing this issue up!  Its an important one.

Max idle instances only sets the maximum number of idle instances that will
be running to prepare for traffic, not the number of total instances that
can run at any one time.

That being said "Always on" currently keeps 3 instances running for you to
be ready to serve traffic.  Under the new model you'll be able to choose the
number of minimum idle instances you want to keep running.  The scheduler
has been tuned to take advantage of the new model but the billing comparison
you are seeing is showing charges for the 3 always on instances that are
running.

The short answer is you probably want to set max idle instances to 1, once
the new billing goes into place you will no longer see the 3 always on
instances anymore.

I hope that makes sense and helps!

Greg D'Alesandre
Senior Product Manager, Google App Engine