Did some more analyzing this morning after changing the settings last night
to:

*Max Idle Instances: ( 1 )
Min Pending Latency: ( 15.0s )*

After 1 hours and too many coffee cups, I got the following results.

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B4P4CLptqSk/TmCIaJLXmvI/AAAAAAAAACY/T_qo7C2ppmY/scheduler.png>

You can clearly see that the scheduler starts a second active instance for
no reasons. It does nothing for 15 minutes, after that it dies but a new one
is created soon after, repeating the process.

At point 6, for the third time a second instance has been created. This time
the load goes to the second instance and the first one becomes idle.

During 45 minutes I paid for >15 instance minutes doing nothing.

There is second bug, at point 3, the request has to wait 2.4 seconds for the
start-up. This request could easily be handled by the first instance. The
second instance would be started in the background and the user would have
his request back within 20 ms.

Any developer feedback would be welcome.