Hi Sergey,

There aren't any limits on CPU time consumed by a request, but there are
limits on the wallclock time used - 30 seconds hard limit, and 1000
milliseconds for requests to be considered for scaling. Although the latter
may still be in place when we switch over to the new billing, I would expect
we will increase or remove it over time - it existed because billing by CPU
time did not cater for requests that are long-running but use very little
CPU time.

-Nick Johnson

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Sergey Schetinin <mal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Another attempt to send this, because apparently the first two were
> marked as spam. Trying from another email. Sorry if this is duplicate,
> I waited 18hours before
> sending this again.)
>
> After new pricing kicks in, will there still be limits on cpu usage per
> request?
>
> I suspect the answer is "yes", so I would also like to know why other
> than "that just how we wrote the thing".
>
> To me personally a lot of GAE limitations made much more sense in the
> old pricing model because all of them (including pricing) contributed
> to the impression that GAE is so efficient in stuffing machines
> chock-full of instances that the hosts run busy most of the time. A
> model like that requires instances to be spinned up shut down all the
> time and the limits serve to make this efficient and the resource
> usage more predictable.
>
> With the new pricing model we are told that spinning up instances is
> inefficient (in fact "15min worth of resources in a couple seconds"
> inefficient) and the machines are supposedly sit idle most of the time
> (hence the removal of CPU charges.
>
> Having all of that in mind it only makes sense to remove limits on
> per-request CPU usage, time limits on request handling, urlfetch
> timeouts etc etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 5 September 2011 07:36, Sergey Schetinin <ser...@maluke.com> wrote:
> > (Second attempt to send this, because apparently the first one was
> > marked as spam. Sorry if this is duplicate, I waited 18hours before
> > sending this again.)
> >
> > After new pricing kicks in, will there still be limits on cpu usage per
> request?
> >
> > I suspect the answer is "yes", so I would also like to know why other
> > than "that just how we wrote the thing".
> >
> > To me personally a lot of GAE limitations made much more sense in the
> > old pricing model because all of them (including pricing) contributed
> > to the impression that GAE is so efficient in stuffing machines
> > chock-full of instances that the hosts run busy most of the time. A
> > model like that requires instances to be spinned up shut down all the
> > time and the limits serve to make this efficient and the resource
> > usage more predictable.
> >
> > With the new pricing model we are told that spinning up instances is
> > inefficient (in fact "15min worth of resources in a couple seconds"
> > inefficient) and the machines are supposedly sit idle most of the time
> > (hence the removal of CPU charges.
> >
> > Having all of that in mind it only makes sense to remove limits on
> > per-request CPU usage, time limits on request handling, urlfetch
> > timeouts etc etc.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> --
> http://self.maluke.com/

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine