Thank you for the invite but I am in Austin. :)

So here is my input:

Last year I co-wrote a book on GWT+GAE with Amy Unruh:
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849690448

I wrote that book because I saw something unique and every exciting to
App Engine: Google App Engine is a **disruptive technology** as it is
the only techno that scales automatically. A disruptive product is a
dream for marketers because no competitors come close to this
easy-scaling solution. None. Zero. There are left in the dust.

So if priced correctly, there should be mass adoption to GAE.
Developers will be coming in droves signing up for this awesome
product, they won't look at any other solution because App Engine is
simple and very affordable. They'll make demos and talks of their new
little app running awesomely on App Engine and their friends
developers will try App Engine out.

However, if priced too high, App Engine will not be adopted.
Developers won't run their little app on App Engine but on a
competitors platforms and that is what they will demo to their friends
and their friends will adopt that competitors technology.

So if I was Greg D'Alesandre, I'd look at the long term goal because
the race for cloud hosting has started, competition is fierce and with
the new pricing **Google priced itself out of the market**.

I see two reasons why the new pricing is so high.

** Why is App Engine new pricing so high?
1. because App Engine running costs is high
or
2. because App Engine sees a huge opportunity in cloud hosting and
wants to make lots of $ now

** Solutions
2. If App Engine wants to make lots of revenue then Greg D'Alesandre
should look at the long term as discussed above. Doing some basic
'visioning' I see that most developers will move to cloud hosting and
that an affordable entry level pricing is key to adoption. On the long
run, Google will make more money with a smaller pricing because there
will be mass-adoption.

Maybe Google reasoning is: "well if you scale your app, you need one
or two full time sysadmins to do the load balancing and db replication
and this is very expensive, so App Engine is still cheaper than doing
it the other way". Correct but this reasoning does not lead to the
mass adoption.

**Mass adoption in cloud hosting can only happen if the entry level
price is painless because competitors have a painless entry level
price point**

1. if running costs are high, then the solution is to have more
customers so again a smaller price point is the way to be profitable
by having more customers.

I maybe missing something here because I am not an insider, however...
I guess most App Engine developers are missing something here and left
disappointed.

Greg D'Alesandre: for people who are not in SA, would you discuss your
points online?

Daniel

-- superco...@gmail.com
http://supercobrablogger.blogspot.com/