Agree. My biggest cost, even more than instances, are datastore Ops, and the
biggest part of those are index writes (70M index writes vs 15M puts). In
light of the new changes, it's more reasonable to have indexing off by
default, and have it enabled only as explicitly requested.

Also, controlling indexes should be done in one place only, index.yaml. It's
often confusing what the effect of the indexed=False parameter is,
especially if you apply it later. Do you have old entities indexed and new
ones not? And what if you set it to True again? You'll probably have a gap
of unindexed entities. How do you fix that? Run a map-reduce job to
read/write the whole table. It's not as clean and manageable as having
everything in one index.yaml file.

Waleed

P.S. same posted on issue page as well.