Actually I thought using RPCs is a good way to achieve parallelism in
python, before python 2.7 comes along.  My app does a lot of URL fetches
from external websites.  This is very inefficient in terms of GAE instance
uptime.  If the external website takes 30 seconds to respond, my instance
stays up for 30 seconds, and can't service any requests.  So my solution has
been to use asynchronous URL fetch using create_rpc.  If I call 10 URL
fetches asynchronously, and each takes 30 seconds to return, then my 30
second GAE instance uptime is now amortized over 10 URL fetches instead of a
single one.  Does my logic sound wrong?  I have yet to implement this, but I
imagine this will lower my costs by allowing me to set a really low value
for MaxNumInstances (like 1 or 2), and by lowering my instance hours,
without sacrificing request latency.