Thanks for the answer James, your answer was pretty much what I
thought the situation was.

According to this posting;
https://plus.google.com/110401818717224273095/posts/AA3sBWG92gu
The new billing starts on Nov 1 and Python 2.7 starts on Dec 1.

For one month I am going to have to put up with paying Google more
money than I would like to. I don't mind optimizing my application (it
is easier than expected) but would have preferred Python 2.7 to be
released prior to the new billing.