And I now fear that if pricing changes again in a different direction in the
future, the optimization we're doing now will also become useless.  In
effect, I'm trying to "game the system" - doing whatever I can to meet the
free quota, until my app starts generating some revenue.  And I suppose
doing things like that does sometime bite in the future.  In your case, your
past effort may seem to have gone waste, given new pricing schemes, but it
probably still goes a long way for future scalability.