I generally share this opinion - seriously, if $9/mo is a problem,
you're not running a business.  That's two lates (one in NYC).

However, I think there is a deeper issue here which is that 50k
datastore operations per day really isn't much.  It's actually
somewhat hard to run a hobby project on appengine within the free
tier.  The subject of this thread should really be "Google App Engine
no longer for intermediate, casual hobbysts".  Shrug.  When the
billing switches over, I need to decide if it's worth spending $9/mo
to continue running my old Mobcast app for the few hundred existing
users or just to pull the plug (hell, I don't even have an iPhone
anymore).

Jeff