I ended up not having to post an issue.  I have been able to resolve
this problem by the following method of deployment a few days later.

1. I removed the "greeting" entry in the index.yaml and performed
"appcfg.py vacuum_indexes projectfolder/".
2. I checked the admin console after some time to make sure that the
datastore had been removed.
3. I then rebuilt the index.yaml entry for "greeting" automatically by
launching it locally using "dev_appserver.py projectfolder/".
4. Finally I tried deploying again using "appcfg,py projectfolder/"
6. This ran successfully without giving me the error I was receiving
about failure to build indexes.