You're describing what's known as a denial of service attack. These attacks
could happen to any Website on any platform. On GAE you're more protected,
out of the box, than most other hosting solutions.

1. GAE automatically blocks IPs that it senses strange activity from. I've
encountered this on two occasions when I tried to copy data from one of my
other servers and hit my GAE app too fast. The block is removed
automatically when activity goes back to normal.

2. You can block IPs from the dashboard. Look for the "blacklist" menu. It
also shows the top IPs from which traffic comes.

3. If you want to write your own code, you might find Brett's dos.py module
useful. Brett wrote this for the PubSubHubbub project, but you can take it
and use it in your project.

http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/source/browse/trunk/hub/dos.py

Waleed