Cool.  Thanks.  Then I can safely set my max_idle_instances back to 1.  I
also noticed high email latencies on the receive side.  I have a user facing
email address on a personal domain hosted on Google, whose sole purpose is
to automatically forward emails to my app at appspotmail.com (using a Gmail
filter).  I noticed that an email showed up in my app's logs nearly 18 hours
after it was sent.  I can imagine that there are several components at play,
many outside of GAE (such as Gmail, etc), but it seems more than a
coincidence that I'm seeing delays and timeouts on the mail.send() side at
the same time.