The GAE notes are confusing to me for your scenario. Have you tried:

1.  Setting up 19 cron jobs of the form
      <schedule>every mon,tue,wed,thu,fri HH:MM</schedule>
    where HH:MM is: 09:00, 09:30, 10:00, ..., 15:00

1.  Setting up 1 cron job of the form
      <schedule>every mon,tue,wed,thu,fri 09:00</schedule>
    and using this cron job to do stuff and then set a deferred task
for 30 minutes' time (if earlier that 15:00).