Hi,

I'm trying to do some work with openid - I don't want to use the federated
login as I also want to support
facebook connect. (I'm open to advice on the best approach to do this, but
for now, I've been looking into
rolling my own openid functionality).

I've been looking at the example provided here:

http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/downloads/detail?name=openid-consumer_20080704.tar.gz

However, I'm having some issues with it. First off, I can't seem to get it
working at all and I've done a bit of
digging inside the code to figure out what is going on - the behaviour seems
a bit strange and not what I
would expect in appengine.

More specifically, I see the following issues:
- before going off to a provide to authenticate, information pertaining to
the session is generated and it looks like
it should be written to the datastore (in store_session() )
-- however, the information is not written to the datastore as the first
char in the dynamic property is '_'
--- this relates to the '_openid_consumer_last_token' field of the session
specifically
-- related to this, the type of the object associated with the above is an
openid.consumer.discover.OpenIDServiceEndpoint which cannot be written to
the datastore in its current format

This is giving rise to some other problems for me as when I get the
callback, it is not straightforward to find the
endpoint and check the authentication (in the complete() phase).

I could make some mods to json up the endpoint class and I think this might
solve the problem, but I was
wondering more generally whether there are good reasons not to do this and
indeed why the appengine
variant operates as it does.

Any comments/pointers appreciated.

BR,