Generally email api's will not be able to tell you if you are sending
to a bad email address.  Just because mail.send returns to you it does
not mean the email has actually been sent.  It may sit in a queue for
an arbitrary amount of time before going out.  The issue however, is
that gae email has had poor deliverability for a while now.  I'd
imagine several spammers found out about app engine and setup numerous
accounts to send their spam.  Now many filters are flagging mail from
gae.  If you need a higher level of deliverability I would highly
recommend other options such as amazon SES.