Hi Nick,

You should probably send this to google-appengine-python@ instead, then.

Thanks - given that I've start this here, I'll finish it here. (I did look
for the appengine
python list, but could not find it easily - could I suggest that a pointer
to the group be
put in the welcome and readme for this group?)

> I'm doing some work using the Salesforce REST API. This API uses the HTTP
>> Patch
>> command to update an object in SF. I note that URLFetch currently does not
>> support
>> Patch - any plans to support in future?
>>

> PATCH is actually a part of WebDav, not HTTP. If you'd like support for it
> added to urlfetch, you should file a feature request on the issue tracker.

I'm a little confused - Salesforce does refer to it as a HTTP command and
this RFC

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5789

does give the impression that it is part of HTTP rather than Webdav. Any
chance you'd
be able to shed further light on this?

> I think the solution is to use httplib2 - it's a bit clunky, however.
>>

> Unfortunately, I don't believe this will work - httplib is just a wrapper
> for URLFetch, so any restrictions that apply to URLFetch apply equally to
> httplib(2).

This can work using the following (which I got from some SF examples):

    queryConn = httplib2.Http()
    resp,content = queryConn.request( obj_url+'?_HttpMethod=PATCH',
                                      "POST",
                                      headers= {'Authorization': 'OAuth
'+access_token, 'Content-Type':' application/json'},
                                      body=simplejson.dumps(update_fields) )

I have not looked into what happens under the hood, however...

BR,
Seán.