I agree that using a status field is initially more simple, and that
simple is good. However, consider a situation where you have many
methods in a class. The behaviour of these methods needs to change
depending on the status, e.g. some methods should raise exceptions
for  for some users at some statuses. What tends to happen is that you
end up with lots of if/and/or statements littered throughout your
code. That's not clean at all. Using class inheritance mapped to
status (Template pattern) can result in code that is more maintainable
and less buggy.