So I have no issues paying for usage. My apps can be scaled back to
the free status and I am doing that not because they are charging but
because they are charging $9 per application. What does this mean
instead of 2 applications (one for my cms and one for java) I will
have 3 so I can save the instance hours. One app will be for images
and static content, one for CMS and the other for the custom java
code. What does that save google nothing. I used to pay $20 per month
and was happy to do that.  I came to GAE for scalability not the cost.
My apps were targeted for usage at .05-$1 per day day for usage, I had
no problem and almost turned on billing only to see that the ability
to do the scalability may cost me more then that scalability might run
for the month.

Lets say we will pay but bring down the per app charge. Maybe $15 per
account (up to 3 apps) plus usage. Please google rethink. For the
price you guys are going to I can get a VPN for under $40 a month and
may have to look at that.