Unfortunately Google doesn't seem to have any products that do geoip
lookup anymore.  There used to be a ClientLocation as part of the ajax
loader but the docs for that have been removed and the endpoints all
seem to return null now.

Using the HTML5 location API requires permission from the browser,
which isn't really practical for most apps.

We built an ip geolocation service on appengine using hessian and the
free maxmind db.  The hard part was hacking around the 10M limit - but
that shouldn't be a problem with SDK 1.5.5 since the data file is
~27MB.

Some sort of finer-grained geoip lookup builtin to appengine would be
really, really handy.

Jeff