Ikai,

Uploading the data is a one-time cost, yes - but not an inexpensive one. And
doing a city lookup upon each login is expensive because of the need to scan
IP ranges in the Maxmind database. I assume this will require indexing but I
don't know how expensive an IP/city lookup is going to be in terms of how
many underlying datastore queries will need to be performed.

Third party apis are out of the question (this is a commercial app) and a
professional geolocation license for Google Maps allegedly costs $10,000 -
which is also out of reach.

For these reasons, it is disappointing that App Engine stopped short of
implementing X-AppEngine-City - which would have saved countless developer
hours and expense.

- Krishna