It looks like GAE won't run on the local SDK.

See e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7740319/gae-1-5-5-fails-to-run-in-python2-7-runtime-on-mac-os-x-10-7-1

It would have been much appreciated for this to have been explicitly
noted in the 1.5.5 Release Notes (and saved me quite a bit of time
wondering what might be wrong).

GAE 1.5.5 looks amazing; great progress.

Cheers,
Brian