> You are specifying a CGI script here. If you want to use CGI then set
> threadsafe to "no".
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Ah, gotcha. A fog of deep misunderstanding is slowly lifting from my
brain, possibly. I could still have some Dunning-Kruger going, so
here's my next attempt:

app.yaml:
---
application: emlynoregan
version: 1
runtime: python27
api_version: 1
threadsafe: true

builtins:
- deferred: on

handlers:
- url: /.*
  script: main.app
---

and my main.py now says:

---
import webapp2
from starter import Starter
app = webapp2.WSGIApplication([('/spinystarter', Starter)], debug=True)
---

But I'm still getting the same error. It's related to the built-in
defer, because when I remove

builtins:
- deferred: on

from my app.yaml, it's all good. I suspect I need to not use the
builtin directive, and instead do

app = webapp2.WSGIApplication([('/spinystarter', Starter), (something,
something else)], debug=True)

but I don't know what "something" and "something else" are supposed to
be. Does anyone know?