On 25 October 2011 02:18, Kyle <kyle.rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that you didn't use the memcached service to
> implement semaphores?
>
> -Kyle

I'm assuming you mean Memcache?

Well, two things. Firstly, as far as I know there are no transactions
or locks or anything like that for memcache, so where you need a
critical section, how will you implement it? (This is not actually a
rhetorical question; is there a way?)

Secondly, you can't trust Memcache to stick around, as far as I know.
If one task constructs a semaphore in memcache, then will that still
be there when another tasks tries to wait() on it?

Anything that is implemented in terms of Semaphores really needs to be
able to rely on them to behave. It might be good to come up with an
alternative construct that can tolerate memcache's behaviour, I'm
totally open to suggestions.