After taking a look at the documentation it is explicit that put will
throw an exception in case of an RPC error.

See:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/memcache/MemcacheService.html#put(java.lang.Object,
java.lang.Object, com.google.appengine.api.memcache.Expiration,
com.google.appengine.api.memcache.MemcacheService.SetPolicy)

put

void put(java.lang.Object key,
         java.lang.Object value)
A convenience shortcut, equivalent to put(key, value, null,
SetPolicy.SET_ALWAYS).
Parameters:
key - key of the new entry
value - value for the new entry
Throws:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException - if the key or value type can't be
stored as a cache item. They should be Serializable.
MemcacheServiceException - if server respond with an error.

Hope that clear things up.