thanks Anand, good to know you guys are on the case. Brandon's comment
gave me hope so I looked into my code a little deeper. Here are a
couple of comments (I'm by no means a Python expert so I'm unsure
about a GIL details)

1) I still see the issue above, random delays between calls under
load. For example, a call to memcache takes a few ms on one request
but then takes 200-300ms on another. Under no load it always quick

2) access from the native appspot.com domain seems faster then a
custom one (I can't remember if this is an issue with the existing
runtime too)

3) on one of my larger tests involving existing code that was running
horribly in the threaded runtime , the main culprit turned out to be
the xml minidom. I'm assuming it's not threadsafe so I'll need to move
to lxml

4) I use a lot of static class methods, I'm not sure if the class def
is locked by the GIL (I had thought not)

Is this threadsafe with the GIL?
class Util():
    @staticmethod
    def DoSomething():
         pass

5) I'm using webapp2, are there any know issues there?

6) Are async RPC calls necessary to get the threadsafe benefits (ex
async urlfetch)? or can we use the standard sync calls as well?

thanks, python27 is going to be great
brian