Dear All,

Once upon a time a friend asked me about how best to setup a simple
site for his business, having already spent a chunk of my time
wrestling with the gaes and having some moderate success in the
building of a little cms/wtf for it ( see http://boot-str.appspot.com/
). I thought this would be a good opportunity to make a live
deployment for someone who actually cares about their site working.

Even though I feel somewhat sceptical about the stability of the gae
for low volume sites ( I'm afraid my experience has been non positive
in that respect ). Hey its moving out of beta, this will be a real
paid app since its a business expense and it probably wont go over the
9bux minimum anyhow (I still wish that wasn't in place, I'd rather
lose the free quota than have that minimum but then I'd also rather
prepay in advance since I'm guessing you are trying to avoid high
overheads on low transactions and that would be a fix to the monthly
minimum, right? )

Step one, I upload an app.

An app that has been tested and deployed multiple times.

Failure one, every single requested index is marked as "error".

This is the first time that has happened to me, what gives?

This seems to be a very hard error, any attempt to upload the app
again says indexs are in error and must be removed to fix them, this
seems slight  complicated (i'm using java and the instructions are for
python, mentioning files that I do not have). However since I haven't
done anything yet there is no important data I figure it must be
possible to just reset everything and start again.

Wrong.

Foolishly in looking for the delete all data and start again button I
clicked on the disable app as I thought that may help as a first step
and open up other options.

I mean its just a toggle right?

I'll just click it again and be back to where I was.

This turns out to have been the worst possible button to press.

Let me see if you can spot the problem with the following list of errors...

You cannot currently re-enable this application because some owners
already have too many enabled free apps.
Please consider either changing the role of the affected admins to
Developer or enabling billing before re-enabling this application.

( Like i said I built a little cms type app and have gone through a
bunch of test apps, in, well, testing the thing so yes I'm not only at
the free limit but way way over it, only a couple of live sites the
rest are just detritus. So that explains the first error, which is
annoying but whatever. )

Attempt to change a role results in:
Sorry, that operation is not allowed while the application is disabled.

Attempt to remove a developer results in:
Sorry, that operation is not allowed while the application is disabled.

Attempt to enable billing results in:
You cannot turn on billing for a disabled application.

It seems "Please consider either changing the role of the affected
admins to Developer or enabling billing before re-enabling this
application." is a lie.

So that would be a fail for the new and improved out of beta app engine, yes?

The moral of this story is, never ever, under any circumstances, click
on disable app.

Thanx for listening.

--
Kriss