I am answer my own question.
 I found this (not-nice line for MACs) line in my py code:

reload(sys); sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8') # DO NOT USE ON A MAC!!

For some reason this reload is OK on Windows and the GAE but not on
 the Mac local version - errors it out.

I do not know why MacBook Airs (Lion) do not like this.

I can understand why I got no replies now. ha ha!

Droid