Answering my own issue.
 I found this (not-nice line for MACs) line in my py code:

reload(sys); sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8') # DO NOT USE ON A MAC!!

  OK on Windows and the GAE but not on
 the Mac local version - errors it out.

I do not know why MacBook Airs (Lion) do not like this.

it was quite a difficult error to find.

Droid