I am doing a 301 redirect of various URLs to appid.appspot.com (e.g.
appid.appspot.com/index.php), to www.customdomain.com.  this is to
replace appspot references in google search to customdomain
references.  google apps for customdomain has authorized www for
appid.  this works almost all the time but occasionally it causes a
redirection loop.  it then disappears as mysteriously as it appears.