nick i understand what you are trying to say but i still think such things
should be documented here
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/config/appconfig.html#Skipping_Files

where the only thing said in the docs about the consequences of the skip_files
configuration is:

The skip_files element specifies which files in the application directory are
not to be uploaded to App Engine. The value is either a regular expression, or
a list of regular expressions. Any filename that matches any of the regular
expression is omitted from the list of files to upload when the application is
uploaded.

this could avoid developers to spend hours to figure out whats wrong in their
code.

andreas