GWT is compiled to JavaScript: it can't do what JavaScript can't either.
The trick of FileUpload is sending the form (and the file) in a hidden
iframe; that way you haven't to reload the whole page. There is a good
reason not to use FormPanel?

Ikai has a blog post with some sample code using GWT to upload images to
appengine:

http://ikaisays.com/2010/09/08/gwt-blobstore-the-new-high-performance-image-serving-api-and-cute-dogs-on-office-chairs/
and the demo:
  http://ikai-photoshare.appspot.com/