Users Shouldn't be hitting YourName.Appspot.com and a well written, well
SEO'd app would only return a "about this app" or "Contact this App Owner"
page when you hit the AppSpot domain so as to avoid duplicate content.

The AppID is really only for people deploying your App.

From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Schnitzer
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:00 PM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Re: Why are so many application identifiers
unavailable?

I believe the app ids are in a global namespace with google accounts.

Jeff

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, schultzter <e...@schultzter.ca> wrote:

I'm getting frustrated by this too.  I've come up with a great (in my
opinion) name but when I try to register (for example, not really the ID I
want) xyz.appspot.com it tells me Sorry, "xyz" is not available.

But even more frustrating is that visiting http://xyz.appspot.com results in
a 404 Not Found (actually, xyz.appspot.com is a Hello World app, bad
example, but you get the point).

So I assume someone is either squatting the name I want or it's an
application that was deleted and now the ID is stuck in purgatory!

It would be nice if Google could clean-up and make those deleted ID's
available again.  And sweep out some of the squatters (mea culpa, but I
don't think anyone wants the random string I tested with originally).