Hi Brandon,

What you say is fine if your threat model only includes "script kiddies"
who don't have your source code. If either of those is not true - you have
an adversary with some level of independent skill, or your source code is
compromised - any method that relies on obscurity for its security will
fare very poorly.

One thing to bear in mind is that if your app is ever compromised, your
password database and/or source may be posted publicly; at that point, you
no longer have to worry about just the initial attacker, but anyone with
sufficient motivation.

Of course, using federated login like OpenID or the Users API obviates the
need to store passwords at all, making it Someone Else's Problem. :)

-Nick