You can keep a file called appengine_config.py in your project directory
with this line:

webapp_django_version = '1.2'

and I think it will solve your problem. Or just wait and keep your code
compatible with current GAE SDK and you will solve the problem since sooner
or later 0.96 will be deprecated since it is old and it is over.

Regards,
Niklas