My application while on loading makes a read operation around 6500 rows
which is fixed for app. I have set memcache for this feature with cache
expiration to 8 days. Bu i observe that cache usually fails 5 to 6 times in
day, so in that case my app has datastore read of around 6500 rows. Thus my
app heavily uses datastore read quota whic is very costly to me.

I have been unable to make cache available for 8 days or even working
properly.

It would be great if you can let me know how to optmize this cache properly.

Thanks
Deepak

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:

> Memcache is just a cache. Your values have no guarantee of being there even
> 1micro second after you did the write.
>
> If you post your code we might be able to help, but I assure you Memcache
> does work.
>
> My app does reads from the datastore or memcache for every request,
> sometimes to for initialization of variables... like Who am I, Why am I
> here, what configuration am I in.   And then to serve the request...
>
> We use a combination of instance memory and memcache to not have to talk to
> the data store. Datastore reads are "slow" compared to Instance Memory and
> Memcache.
>
> Datastore Write Operations               0.24 Million Ops        0.19
> $1.00/ Million Ops       $0.19
> Datastore Read Operations                0.02 Million Ops        0.00
> $0.70/ Million Ops       $0.00
>

> I didn't count the "reads in my app" to the "writes" but I know I do reads
> for initialization every time, and reads for data every time.  I only do
> writes on some requests...   So I am going to be conservative and say that
> do 3x as many reads as writes in my code, but so far today I have hit the
> Datastore with a write 10x as many times as I have a read.  That works out
> to my local memory and memcache saving me 97% of the time.
>
> I don't have an easy way to tell you how much of the time that is instance
> memory and how many times it is memcache, but I assure you it works.

Deepak Singh