I don't doubt you need a read in each case. My point is about *what* the
read is for, and how the quota are calculated.

App Engine has a quota for,

   - Datastore Write Operations
   - Datastore Read Operations
   - Datastore Index Write Ops

Now, I understand that the indexes may be part of the datastore, but if
index write operations are separate from datastore write operations, why
aren't the read operations also separated? Clearly they are separate
things, but it seems they are combine under one quota.

My only question is why, and whether that makes sense.

For instance, it should be much cheaper to check if a query has results (a
index read) than to return those results (a datastore read), so wouldn't it
make more sense to have separate quotas?