If you want to use the DataStore over HTTP building a Data Store Proxy is
pretty simple, and you just detect if you are on GAE or Tomcat and pic if
you are using local or remote Data

-----Original Message-----
From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ian Marshall
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:46 AM
To: Google App Engine
Subject: [google-appengine] Re: how to develop on tomcat and deploy on GAE

I did this at first (using a MySQL database with my Tomcat), but this was a
mistake.

Even though it was nice to step through my code during debug, I lost the
following things by not developing using the GAE/J development web
server:

  ·  The GAE datastore behaves differently to a MySQL database, even though
I was using JDO as my persistence abstraction layer.
  ·  The GAE/J dev server matches GAE/J production servers better than
Tomcat.
  ·  Enqueued tasks.
  ·  And many more...

Don't make my mistake: develop against the GAE web server, and the GAE
datastore, from the start!