While I'm not saying you should ditch memcache for speeding up your output.
If you are looking at the effort to implement Memcache through out your
code, or getting your headers right to enable edgecache, consider this.

In all 3 of the following apps EdgeCache "Hits" were at 40-65%

MemCache:

'hits': 2,425, (4%)

'misses': 55,618,

'items': 2,696,

'bytes': 34,992,253,

'hits': 44,668, (27%)
'misses': 163,823,
'items': 1,170,
'bytes': 1,515,333,

JeffProbst.com (High Volume, only like 25 pages of content, I think Edge
misses are due to geographic diversity)
'hits': 50,943, (74%)
'misses': 68,942,
'items': 100,
'bytes': 618,267,

The larger your data set the lower your memcache success will be.  From what
I can tell Memcache never goes over 3000 items or 35 Megs  I haven't been
Logging it constantly, so I'm not sure if it is an item or a Meg limit.

If you are writing a VERY small app. Using only 1 always on instance writing
for Instance memory ensures a much larger cache hit ratio because you get
more space and unless your instance resets the data seems to persist.