Seeing spikes or DEE errors too with my HRD app recently,
while it has been right for several months.

Reminds me of the symptoms seen when we used M/S: suddenly a burst of
DEE and many instances gets killed, with these two logging messages:

I 2011-12-08 13:03:35.164
This request caused a new process to be started for your application,
and thus caused your application code to be loaded for the first time.
This request may thus take longer and use more CPU than a typical
request for your application.

W 2011-12-08 13:03:35.164
A serious problem was encountered with the process that handled this
request, causing it to exit. This is likely to cause a new process to
be used for the next request to your application. If you see this
message frequently, you may be throwing exceptions during the
initialization of your application. (Error code 104)