From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Schnitzer
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:33 PM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Re: Isn't .08/hr 1.92/day $59.52/month for a
600 MHZ CPU instance with 128 MB memory a LITTLE EXPENSIVE

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
> GAE FORCES you to think about your code. But it allows you to forget
> about everything else.

Brandon, I humbly suggest you just haven't hit an edge case yet.
There are plenty of indexing problems which GAE simply doesn't offer a
solution to.  When I am forced to think about "does polygon A overlap with
polygon B?", I look for R-tree indexes... which GAE doesn't offer.  There
are a million spatial index functions which are no-brainers in PostGIS but
represent man-years of work on GAE.  And of course there's fulltext
indexing.

GAE gets more features every month, which is great.  The magic
anti-exploding-index queries recently added are a godsend.  Fulltext
indexing is on its way.  And I'll be jumping up and down in happiness when
true spatial indexes show up.  But let's not pretend that GAE is complete.
And let's make sure Google knows it when they make missteps like pricing
large instances unreasonably or offering halfway email solutions that do
little more than generate complaints on this list.

Jeff