It appears that my IP is occasionally getting blocked with 400 Errors when
doing a CURL from PHP. Looks like a "soft" DOS block?

This is particularly bad because when we then serve the page on the PHP side
we are serving the Google branded 400 which I'm sure can't be good for SEO.

I'm hesitant to post too much about the error because we use this app as a
Data Cache and we have been too lazy to put "real" security on it.

So at this point I'm just asking is there some mechanism GAE uses to auto
detect "DOS" attacks and block the IP? And is this new? And Why is it 400
instead of 500?