Hi,
  This has generally beed a recurring issue with both master-slave
apps and django.  It is very possibly hanging up on your imports.  You
might add some logging to verify that, but it is commonly the case.

  Migrating to high-replication could help with this.  Dropping django
can be a further boost.

Robert