I guess what you are proposing is marketing / promotions using
established products so people get to know GAE and once they
try it they move everything to it.

Unfortunately I think that is not the case. I guess the guys&girls at
StackOverflow know of GAE - maybe they haven't thought about
using it, right. But that's just StackOverflow. There are thousands
of other sites of this scale.

I don't know of any site the size of StackOverflow that runs on
AppEngine. As stated before, I think Google should try to tailor
GAE exactly to sites like StackOverflow. Sites that just hit the
serving-out-of-one-box-problem. I doubt that a wordpress hosting
plan would get StackOverflow on board. IMHO Google should
tell StackOverflow to move to GAE and Google should cover
the hosting costs in exchange for a "powered by GAE" on all
StackOverflow sites. That would be great marketing.

But I'm afraid it's not only about marketing. I think there are
other reasons why sites like StackOverflow don't use GAE.
Herevare two obvious ones to start with: Pricing & fulltext search.
I would be very interested in what other ones are.

This basically boils down to:

If StackOverflow doesn't want to run on GAE for good reasons,
I dont want to run on GAE either!

I'm interested in a vivid discussion :)
I tried to get Nick Craver, the author of the Blog post to join and
posted a comment on his blog.

Cheers,
-Andrin