Thanks so much Sameer and Robert,

the zipping really blows me away! Since Snappy and Ning Compress don't
work on GAE, I resorted to plain DeflaterOutputStream, and it turns
out it's fast and efficient as well. It's  shrinking some 1.4 Megabyte
of list data to 150K within 200ms (on F4, admittedly), which is
outstanding (remember, this only happens on admin pages where the
admin doesn't mind waiting a second or two). It's so fast I'm even
considering to use it on the session itself (we use Wicket, which
stores page-representations in the session, which means we may reach
the 1M limit if we don't evict old pages quickly). Brilliant hint.

I'll probably still need to implement the bucketing that Jeff
mentions, but not for the next 6 months.

Happy
Per