I should be able to get the information I was after from the compiled
python protocol buffers.

But to answer your question, in this case I was wondering what the
behavior is when .setCount isn't called on the NextResult pb in
QueryResultsSourceImpl.java. Of course I could glean the default value
by running code that calls it, but I prefer looking at code. Also,
perhaps the default is set on the other side of the RPC, in which case
I'll never have access.

Not having the proto files feels like a dead end in the java source.
I'm an ex-Googler SWE myself and know that they're often
well-commented and descriptive of the RPC being called, which can be
useful information. Its not a big deal though, if you don't get many
requests to release them, don't bother.