Jeff is right, it is most likely the startup time of your app.

Paying $9 a month will not automatically give you an always on
instance unless you set an idle instance and set a warmup requests
file/script. In which case you will likely be paying more than $9.
Even then it doesn't work very well with very small applications. This
is from my testing a few months ago. Things may have changed as it
appears the documentation is little more up to date with instances.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/instances.html